Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Motor Mania

I thought I had plumbed the metaphorical depths of America's motor mania. It is becoming increasingly clear that I have merely scratched the proverbial surface.

While out running today, I saw yet another incarnation of the national obsession with non-human locomotion: a motorised seed and fertiliser spreader. Thanks to this contraption, the athletically disinclined no longer need to walk behind their manual (or should that be pedal?) "broadcast" spreaders, but can lounge comfortably in a bucket-seat atop their petrol-powered (bien sûr!) buggy and drive around their suburban lawns instead.
Jeez, I'm sure there are people over here who would have their legs removed at the hip and replaced by a bionic Segway if only some bright spark found a way to get rid of all that energy-sapping leaning.

No comments: