Monday, January 18, 2010

American Camembert


"Cheese spread"?

As you probably know, I am a lover of real camembert. It would even be fair to describe me as a camembert snob. For me, camembert isn't proper unless it is made from unpasteurised milk and ripened to within a fortnight (ideally a week) of its best-before date, when the skin is just about to go brown and bitter, and the centre has turned a liquid and almost translucent, creamy texture.

"Cheese spread" for me evokes a skinless, mass-manufactured and unmatured gloopy yellow mass reminiscent of the 'Laughing Cow' or 'Dairylee' brands of cheese - the antithesis of my idea of what constitutes camembert. So unless this truly is cheese spread (and I was only given the label for my collection, so cannot say either way), I fear that this is a gross oversimplification, a sort gastronomic dumbing-down for local consumption.

No comments: