Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I Pastafari


Yesterday I realized that, ever since I became ordained as a priest last year, I have been subconsciously searching for a religious affiliation. This search is now finally over.

It is therefore with a certain amount of pride that I can now announce: "I am a Pastafarian!"

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, to give the organisation its official title, was spawned to parody the idiocy of the so-called "theory" of Intelligent Design, a belief espoused by some Christians that the universe is too complex and wonderful to be the product of mere chance or natural selection.

In 2005, when the Kansas School Board was considering whether biology teachers should teach Intelligent Design alongside Darwinism as an equally plausible theory of evolution, Bobby Henderson sent the board a letter in which he demanded tongue-in-cheek that pupils should likewise be taught about his theory of evolution, namely that the world was created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
The letter also claimed that pirates were the original Pastafarians, but that they - like witches - were stereotyped as evil by Christian theologians. An amusing graph provided "evidence" that global warming is directly attributable to the decline in the number of pirates.

So what does it have to do with me, you ask?

Well, as some of you know, spaghetti has always been my favourite food. What's more, I have on occasion (inexplicably) chosen to dress up as a pirate to go to parties. My son even wore a pirate costume to a Halloween celebration at his school this year. But all that might have been dismissed as pure coincidence had I not made the following discovery when I unwrapped my Subway sandwich:


As you can see, it is unmistakably an image of the Flying Spaghetti Monster drawn in grease and sweet onion relish.

There is therefore no doubt that I too have been "touched by His noodly appendage" (the title of the painting at the top).

I have found my calling.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I think you need to get out more Jan... ;-)