Monday, October 6, 2008

US Senate Bean Soup


When I saw this on the supermarket shelf, I simply had to buy it. After all, I have no idea what the US Senate tastes like (though it's probably bitterer than the Swiss).

Disappointingly, the back label has disabused me of the belief that US Senate Bean Soup is actually made of old men or indeed an old building. Apparently, the recipe was developed around the turn of the century for serving in the US Senate Dining Room. 

But it does explain why there's so much hot air in the Senate.

2 comments:

Ben said...

It sounds like a typical "cricket-baseball" copycat thing. I'll stick with the original HP Sauce

New World Newbie said...

Yuckeroony! Forget brown sauce. It's got to be genuine Heinz ketchup for me any day.

Incidentally, did you know the "57 varieties" slogan is a lie? Heinz never had anything like 57 varieties of their products. They just made it up because it sounded impressive.